Packing dishes is just another tedious step of the moving process. By applying proper techniques, packing your entire kitchen can be done within a few hours. The information below is a standard in the moving industry and in my opinion the best way to pack dishes.
Great places to buy new packing material for dishes are Home Depot or Lowe’s (best price). Other places to get these items are from local box stores, U-haul, Public Storage, and directly from the moving company. If you are in UAE, you can hire a professional moving company there since there are many movers in Dubai.
Packing materials for dishes needed:
- Double-walled heavy duty dish pack boxes
- Packing Paper
- Tape Gun or scissors (optional)
- Markers and Labels
*Green Packing Tip – Use towels and linens in place of packing paper for a sustainable move.
When learning how to pack dishes, it is important to create a clean and organized work station. Great places are dining room tables, large kitchen islands, and large fold out tables. Lay flat a large stack of packing paper on your working surface.
- Make your first box by opening it up and sealing one side with tape. Apply at least 3 pieces of tape tightly on the seam. I like to add one last piece of tape around the box to keep the ends from peeling up.
- Wad up a few pieces of packing paper and layer the bottom of the box.
- Place one dish flat on the stack of paper and fold the corners of a few pieces of paper over the dish. Place another dish on top of the last and continue for about 3-5 dishes. This applies for packing plates, bowls and other similar items.
- Wrap the whole stack with a few more pieces to create a large secure bundle of dishes. Place the dishes vertical in the box and continue until the entire box is snug full with dishes.
- Add one more layer of wadded up paper on the very top to secure the pack. Tape the box closed with 3 pieces of tape and a last one around the top to secure the edges of the tape down.
- Mark your box on the sides with a descriptive label. Include on the label the contents and room it belongs in. This is so the movers can take it to its final destination. You can either write directly on the box or use labels.
If done correctly, you should not feel any movement in the box. If there is movement then consider adding more wadded paper or dish bundles. Packing dishes for moving may seem like an all day task, but with a proper setup and technique packing your entire kitchen can be done in a few hours.
This is just one basic way to pack plates and other kitchen dinnerware for moving. These packing tips are the standard for quick and efficient moving and packing fragile items before moving in. The safety of your goods is based on how well you or the mover packs the breakables. Packing for long distance moving or long term storage takes a little more attention to detail for a safe transport.